Search Using the Tools God Gave You

Custom Search

Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Sweet Spot

What is it that you have always loved to do? For me, it has always been writing. I have had a passion for writing for as long as I can remember. One of the chapters in Cure for the Common Life suggests that you think back to the activity that made you happy as a child. I know for me it is writing. I struggled, though, with this suggestion, because I couldn't remember keeping a journal, or writing poetry as a child. I don't remember creating any fantastic stories, or having any extraordinary talent at writing. I do remember loving language arts, which, thanks to the FCAT and other standardized test, we really don't have time to teach. I remember all of my classmates groaning when we had to diagram a sentence, but I secretly loved to do that. Even remembering that, I still didn't think that I had a "love" for writing as a child. I remember having skill at it, though.

For example, I remember winning the D.A.R.E. essay contest. I remember that my best friend at that time was really mad at me, because she had spent days, or maybe even weeks, writing her essay, and she won second place, while I got first. I remember being shocked at the awards night, when they gave me my prize (a duffel bag), and asked me to read it to the people in attendance. I hadn't expected to win this essay contest. I remember writing that essay in about an hour. How could I win, when I had put so little effort into this? Thinking back to that night, though, it hit me...I did have a love for writing, and obviously talent at it. Anyone that is that talented at writing must love it.

Writing is my passion. It is my therapy. It is my ambition. It is my talent. It is my goal. It is my "high." It doesn't matter how long I go without writing, when I decide to take an afternoon and write, it flows naturally. I know how much I love to write, and I know I am talented at it.It always amazes me, though, when I read something that I have written, because I realize just how much I love doing it. It's obvious when reading something that I have written, that this was written by someone who really enjoys doing it.

My challenge to you today is to figure out what it is that you love to do. Figure out how to incorporate it into your everyday life, and begin your persuit of your "Sweet Spot." If you don't know what your sweet spot is, check back on this blog in a few days. Until then, stay uncommon.

No comments: