Search Using the Tools God Gave You

Custom Search

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What Will Be Your First Step?

What will be the first step that you take towards living in your sweet spot? Some people will be willing to take a larger step than other people. There are many factors that come into play when you are deciding what steps to take. For example, there are some people who don't struggle with finances. For those people, quitting a job and dedicating more time to their passion is more of an option. Unfortunately, that may not be an option for you. If you fall in that category, a good first step for you might be to start out making your passion a hobby. From there, you can market yourself, and your hobby, and, hopefully, eventually it can make the transition from hobby to career. There are many great ways to begin the first step.

First, if you have an idea of the qualifications you need to make your sweet spot your career, that's a great place to start. Make a list of all of the possibilities for making your sweet spot your career. For example, I know for sure that my passion and my sweet spot is writing. I love to write. My first step was to decide what qualifications I needed to make writing my career instead of just my passion and hobby. I am one of the people that cannot afford to just quit my job, and hope for the best. I do realize, however, that if I never take that first step, I will never be able to make writing my career, instead of just my hobby. Knowing this, I decided to write in my spare time. I really don't have spare time, because I teach during the days, and my husband and I own two businesses. I spend my evenings at one of the businesses. With this busy schedule, I had to improvise. Aside from blogging while I am at the business, I also have finished a few manuscripts. My next step will be to begin submitting them to agents, and working towards being published. This is a hard step to take, because everyone fears rejection, and I am no acception to the rule. I hesitate to send my manuscripts, just because I don't want to hear that I need to change things about them. This hesitation to take the next step leads me to ask you what will your next steps be?

Decide what steps you need to take in order to fulfill your dreams and achieve your goals. A great quote that seems to be showing up in my life a lot lately is this: "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." To me, this means that you can't be successful if you don't try new things, and step out of your comfort zone a little bit. I love that quote, but my sister-in-law once told me something that my brother had said to her. This quote basically means the same thing, but for some reason this one sticks with me more. He said "You can't steal second base with your foot on first." He's a big baseball fan, so this quote "hits home" with him. I love to tell people this quote, because you don't have to know anything about baseball to know just what it means. It's clever, and it makes you think.

Get moving on your steps to making your dream a reality. Figure out what you need to do for this, and take this advice: Steal Second!!!

No comments: